Restorative dentistry addresses damaged and missing teeth. Things like crowns strengthen damaged and weakened teeth while dentures and bridges replace teeth you’ve lost. There’s another popular tooth replacement option: dental implants. What are they? What are the advantages?
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants consist of an artificial tooth root and an artificial tooth. The roots, which are made from biocompatible metal posts, are surgically placed into your jaw. As you heal, the posts fuse to the bone. A crown is then placed on top to replace your natural tooth. A connector known as an abutment connects the crown and post. Depending on factors like how many implants you’re getting and your rate of healing, the whole process can take several months.
Reasons to Consider Dental Implants
While the process is longer and more invasive than other tooth replacement solutions, implants have many benefits:
- They’re a permanent solution with a low risk of failure if you maintain healthy gums and a healthy jaw.
- Because the root of a dental implant is fused to your jaw, it is fixed in your mouth with no worry of slippage.
- They prevent bone shrinkage by allowing chewing forces to be transferred to your jawbone. Other tooth replacements that don’t replace the tooth root do not stimulate bone growth so your jawbone can shrink.
- They’re easy to clean: brush twice a day for two minutes each time, floss every day, and visit Knights Family Dentistry for routine cleanings and checkups.
- Implants look and feel nearly like natural teeth!
Dental Implants at Knights Family Dentistry
If you have a bridge, partial dentures, or full dentures and feel frustrated with your experience, dental implants may be a more comfortable and natural-looking choice. And if you’re only missing a few teeth, now is also a good time to consider dental implants before your jawbone starts to deteriorate.
If you have questions about how to pay for dental implants or the process, contact Knights Family Dentistry, your dentist in Harker Heights, to schedule a consultation!