What to expect at your child’s first appointment at Knights Family Dentistry in Harker Heights, Texas
Your child’s first visit to the dentist doesn’t have to be a scary experience. Knights Family Dentistry is a kid-friendly practice that can provide a pain-free first dental experience that sets the stage for a lifetime of proper dental care.
Dr. Alan Katende puts an emphasis on preventative dentistry, and believes that fluoride treatments, combined with sealants and dietary counseling at a young age, can help prevent costly treatment later on.
Also, Knights Family Dentistry offers family-block scheduling, which allows you to book multiple dental appointments in one day, either at the same time or back-to-back, to save you multiple trips to our office.
Fear-Free and Pain-Free
When facing a first dental visit, many children don’t know that to expect, which can lead to a feeling of apprehension. Here is what commonly occurs during a child’s first visit to the dentist:
- Examination. During your child’s dental examination, Dr. Katende will look at your child’s teeth, check the health of his or her gums, make sure the jaw is developing properly, assess bite, and look for any signs of tooth decay or mouth injuries.
- Cleaning. No matter how good your child is at tooth brushing, a cleaning is a must to rid teeth of the bacteria that can lead to cavities. A professional cleaning will remove bacterial plaque to help keep gum tissue healthy, and even remove stains from teeth.
- Fluoride treatment. A fluoride treatment (varnish) is a safe, painless way to help slow down tooth decay or prevent it entirely. A fluoride varnish, which is brushed onto the top and sides of each tooth, hardens once it comes into contact with saliva. Fluoride treatments contain only a small amount of fluoride and can be safely done on a child’s teeth two to four times each year. We offer several fun, tasty, kid-friendly favors to choose from.
- Education. If Dr. Katende notices an issue or potential concern with your child’s teeth or gums, he’ll walk you through his recommendations so you can make a confident, informed decision about what to do next. Your child will also receive some age-appropriate tips about the value of preventive dentistry.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, all babies should receive a first oral health assessment by 6 months of age. Infants identified as being at risk for dental problems should visit a dentist as early as 6 months, and all children should have an established dentist by the time they are a year old.
Other KFD Services
Knights Family Dentistry serves families and welcomes people of all ages. Here is a sampling of a few of the many services we provide to help our patients maintain a healthy, happy smile:
- Sealants. Although there is no substitute for brushing and flossing, sealants can help patients of all ages avoid cavities. A sealant is a thin plastic coating that is placed on the chewing surfaces of the permanent back teeth (molars) to keep bacteria from settling into crevices that a toothbrush cannot reach. Sealants can even be placed over areas of early tooth decay to prevent further damage. The American Dental Association (ADA), which recommends that sealants be applied to a child’s permanent molars as soon as they come in (at around age 6) and then again at age 12, says the treatment can lower the risk of cavities on permanent molars by as much as 80 percent.
- Fillings and Crowns. Dental fillings are used to repair cavities and minor tooth decay, and most people will need a filling at some point in their lives. But for major tooth decay and tooth damage, a crown that fits directly over the affected tooth can be a better option. Crowns are commonly used for tooth decay, and can also stabilize teeth that are broken, cracked, or worn. At Knights Family Dentistry, we strive to meet a family’s busy schedule by providing same-day service for crown procedures, particularly for younger patients.
At Knights Family Dentistry, we offer family-block scheduling, which allows you to book multiple dental appointments in one day, either at the same time or back-to-back, to save your family trips to our office. For a pain-free experience in a kid-friendly environment, contact Knights Family Dentistry on our website or by calling (254) 863-8003 to schedule your child’s first appointment today.